Generally made from cattle or goat horn, and used as a drinking vessel in many cultures across different time periods, the drinking horn held great significance, especially for ceremonies. It continued to see service right up until the early modern period, especially throughout Germanic Europe. A particularly popular drinking container through the early Middle Ages in Scandinavia, it enjoyed mentions in both the Prose Edda and the Poetic Edda. Although fragments of Viking Age horns are rarely recovered on archaeological digs, the number of preserved metal horn fittings lead to assume that their use was much more widespread than the actual horn finds indicate.
The drinking horn we offer here is hand-crafted from cattle horn, polished, and adorned with an engraved valknut symbol framed by a sequence of runes. The valknut, a symbol that consists of three interlocked triangles, appears on a wide variety of archaeological finds assigned to the Germanic peoples. While its true meaning remains a matter of speculation to date, some experts tend to believe that it may be associated to Odin, the Allfather of the Gods in Norse mythology. It has now found its place in modern culture, gracing many of piece of jewellery, talisman, or decorative object, and is particularly popular with the adherents of Heathenry, also known as Germanic Neopaganism (for example Ásatrú followers).
Whether in a modern home, or for re-enactment purposes in a medieval / Viking setting, this rustic, highly decorative drinking vessel will make for a true eye-catcher on any dining table.
For hygienic reasons, the horn is sealed on the inside with a food-safe varnish so that you may enjoy your favourite beer (or mead) to the fullest.
A convenient, easy-to-carry drinking horn stand made of hand-forged steel is included in the scope of delivery. The principle is quite simple: Just insert the horn through the opening, and the two legs of the stand and the tip of the horn will form a steady tripod, thus ensuring that you can always put your drinking horn down safely.
A great gift idea for modern-day Vikings or Heathens!
- Scope of delivery: drinking horn + metal stand
- Material: genuine cattle horn (buffalo), iron stand
- Engraved with a valknut motif with runes
- Holding capacity: approx. 200 to 300 ml *
- Weight (horn only): approx. 300 g *
- Horn stand: Inner diameter: approx. 6 cm; Length of legs: approx. 10 cm; Weight: approx. 120 g
Our drinking horns are not calibrated and thus exclusively intended for private use.
Drinking horns are not suitable for dishwashers and should be thoroughly cleaned before first (and after each) use with lukewarm water and a soft cloth. Do not use harsh cleaning agents that could damage the protective coating.
* Please note that specs will vary from piece to piece and that above pictures are for reference only. As horn is an organic product, natural variations in colour, shape, size, weight, and volume are to be expected. The horn’s capacity may vary from approx. 200 to 300 ml, while the colour may range from black to any shade or combination of brown, yellow, or ivory. Each horn is a hand-made, very unique piece, and yours will be chosen randomly from our stock.