Large Tankard / Beer Mug, Genuine Horn
This generously sized mug / tankard with handle is hand-crafted from cattle horn, polished, and adorned with an engraved valknut symbol framed by a sequence of runes.
The valknut, a symbol that consists of three interlocked triangles, appears on a wide variety of archaeological finds assigned to the Germanic peoples. While its true meaning remains a matter of speculation to date, some experts tend to believe that it may be associated to Odin, the Allfather of the Gods in Norse mythology. It has now found its place in modern culture, gracing many of piece of jewellery, talisman, or decorative object, and is particularly popular with the adherents of Heathenry, also known as Germanic Neopaganism (for example Ásatrú followers).
The rustic, highly decorative drinking vessel we offer here is not only ideal for re-enactment purposes, but also for everyday use. Whether in a medieval setting or in a modern home, it will make for a true eye-catcher on any dining table.
For hygienic reasons, the drinking cup is sealed on the inside with a food-safe varnish so that you may enjoy your favourite beer (or mead) to the fullest.
A great gift idea for modern-day Vikings or Heathens!
- Material: genuine cattle horn (buffalo)
- Engraved with a valknut motif with runes
- Height: approx. 15 cm
- Weight: approx. 350 to 450 g
- Holding capacity: approx. 650 to 800 ml *
The mug is not calibrated and thus exclusively intended for private use.
Horn mugs are not suitable for dishwashers and should be thoroughly cleaned before first (and after each) use with lukewarm water and a soft cloth. Do not use harsh cleaning agents that could damage the protective coating.
* Please note that specs will vary from piece to piece and that above pictures are for reference only. As horn is an organic product, natural variations in colour, shape, size, and volume are to be expected. The mug’s capacity may vary from approx. 650 to 800 ml, while the colour may range from black to any shade or combination of brown, yellow, or ivory. Each cup is a hand-made, very unique piece, and yours will be chosen randomly from our stock.