Spanish Swept-Hilt Rapier with Scabbard
Ex Tax: 165.00€
Product Code: 110280
We do not sell this product to customers under the age of 18. Please provide your birth date when ordering. We'll also need a scanned copy of your ID-card or passport sent to email@example.com by e-mail.
The rapier first appeared around 1500 and remained the sword of choice of the European gentry and bourgeoisie until the late 17th century. Primarily designed as a thrusting weapon (yet still quite efficient at cutting and slashing), this one-handed, usually double-edged Renaissance sword with long, slender blade and sharp point was predominantly used by noblemen for both military and civilian purposes. Generally equipped with a more or less elaborate basket-, cup- or swept-hilt for enhanced hand protection on the battlefield or duelling ground, it enjoyed great popularity in the most varied forms throughout Europe as a fencing, self-defence, or duelling weapon and eventually became a status symbol and an essential fashion accessory to any gentleman’s or officer’s attire.
This reconstruction of a classically styled Spanish swept-hilt rapier of the Renaissance has a narrow, double-edged EN45 spring steel blade with diamond cross-section and pointed tip. The edges are not sharpened, and the blade’s full tang is threaded to the pommel. The complex, elegant swept hilt with S-shaped crossguard, bars and side rings is made of stainless steel, as is the pommel. The grip is composed of a wooden core wrapped with twisted steel wire.
Delivery includes a black stitched leather scabbard finished with a steel throat and chape.
Please note that this sword is not a battle ready weapon. It is designed as a collector’s or decoration/display piece and is not suited for combat reenactment. Besides its quality as a collectible, it is also perfectly suited as a prop, e.g. to complete your costume.
- Material: EN45 spring steel blade (high carbon steel, not stainless), stainless steel guard and pommel, wire-wrapped wooden grip
- Overall length: approx. 100 cm
- Blade length: approx. 85 cm incl. ricasso (approx. 77 cm without)
- Blade thickness: approx. 3.5 mm (cutting edges approx. 1 mm)
- Hilt length: approx. 21 cm from lower side ring to pommel cap (grip approx. 9.5 cm)
- Max. blade width: approx. 2.3 cm
- Point of balance: approx. 11.5 cm from the guard
- Incl. leather scabbard with steel fittings
- Weight without scabbard: approx. 1.1 kg
- Weight with scabbard: approx. 1.35 kg
Specs may slightly vary from piece to piece.
The steel used here is not rust-proof and might show slight surface tarnishing in places. We recommend you to maintain the blade on a regular basis, for example using Ballistol Universal Oil, which is ideally suited for steel care.